Monday, August 15, 2011

101 Songs - Born To ♥ Volcanos!

I spent all of high school listening to The Dead Milkmen.  There was this guy in drama club that was sort of the ringleader of any mischief that happened to crop up, and he had insane taste in music.  He was always in charge of the boombox on our numerous (and I mean numerous) drama club fieldtrips, and "Beezlebubba" was always in strong rotation.  That, and the soundtrack to "Pretty In Pink"....

Anyway, the Milkmen's early stuff had a grittier punk sound than their later stuff, which over time got more melodic, and some really pretty sounds could be found floating around inside a lot of their tracks, especially on the exceptionally rare "Soul Rotation" (which I have an original copy of.  Woot!).  I mean, even "Stuart", (which is a hilarious parody of a redneck rant against alternate lifestyles), has surprisingly hook-y, smoothly flowing music playing underneath the monologue that makes up the song.

Here's one of my all-time favorite Dead Milkmen songs:  "Born To Love Volcanos".  I'm a PBS fan, but I have to admit, this song does have a point....





-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...