Thursday, November 03, 2011

Inexpensive Sparklies!

When it comes to sparklies, I am basically Jeremy the crow from The Secret of NIMH:




That's why I love the Christmas season in the stores, because there are sparklies all over the place.  And the best part is, you can get them cheap, if you look.  Shopping Day this week was the day after Halloween, so it was a double whammy of awesomesauce:  Halloween clearance AND inexpensive Christmas sparklies!

First the Halloween clearance:


Speaking of Jeremy the crow.....  I've been wanting one of these for awhile, but I was never comfortable spending the $15 or so that they cost, until this past Tuesday, when I found one in the clearance bin for $1.95!  WOO!



This one's a little beat-up.  There's a small chunk missing on the right side, and the little thingy that goes on the top so you can hang it is gone, as well.  But you can't go wrong for a dollar, and I think it still looks pretty good.


Now for the sparklies!!  Nothing here cost more than about $2.50, and a bunch of them were less than 2 dollars.


Walmart has a bad habit of putting out entire Christmas-themed aisles full of flat shapes coated double-thick in crusty, flaky, pastel-colored glitter.  But amongst all that, you can find some really neat things, like this....neat thing....above.  What would you call it?  A "starburst"?  Anyway, if you don't want to keep it the way it is, you can dismantle it, and have a big pile of glass drops you can use for all kinds of projects.



My apologies for the fact that the star is kind of hard to see in this picture.  I love my curtains, but I'm discovering that they make a horrible backdrop for photographs.  Anyway!  I think this one is my favorite of all the things I found this week.  So spindly-delicate, so sparkly, so girly....I feel a squee coming on....




These were part of a "make your own tiny chandelier" kit.  Unfortunately, I don't think the instructions were very well thought out, because I had to do a generous amount of tweaking with my needle-nose pliers.  Those curlicue wires that hold up the hangy bits are nearly impossible to get to stay put.  They want to flop over and hang loose no matter what you do.  So, the ones pictured here don't look exactly like the photo on the package, but oh well.  Still pretty.



Not a sparkly, but just as fantastic.  I found this, plus a handful of other styles of large metal keys in the dollar bin at Michael's.  Yay!!

_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...