Tuesday, February 28, 2012

March Full Moon - Worm

The March full moon has a lot of names, and it's coming up on the 8th.

The Worm Moon is the name you'll find probably most often in a search, as it appears to be the most well known.  The March moon was given that name because it represents the time when the worms start to come up out of the soil, which attracts the robins, whose return is a sure sign of spring.


The graphic for this one was a toughie.  I originally wanted to go grittier and make it photo-realistic, so I spent the entire morning embedding a photo of a real earthworm into a photo of the full moon.  After three hours and about 10 Photoshop filters, it was done, and I was proud of it, until I was hit with the sudden realization that it was pretty damn seriously gross-looking.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any way to make a photograph of an earthworm look appealing, you know what I mean?  So, I went cartoon-y, and there you go.  The cuddly pink guy you see above started off with a big, happy smile, but then it occurred to me that he's about to be devoured by a robin, and he certainly has to know it, since, you know, nature and all.  So, he's wearing a look of understandable concern.  Because of the inevitable robin.

There'll be more to come for the March full moon.  The Worm Moon's just the beginning....

_

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...